Hawaiian shirts are a popular choice for casual wear, but can they be worn in a business casual setting? The answer is yes, but it depends on a few factors, such as the specific dress code of your workplace, the occasion, and the style of the Hawaiian shirt.
What is business casual attire?
Business casual attire is a dress code that is more relaxed than formal business attire, but more professional than casual attire. It typically includes a mix of dressy and casual pieces, such as slacks, chinos, skirts, blouses, button-down shirts, and polos.
When is it appropriate to wear a Hawaiian shirt to work?
If your workplace has a casual dress code, or if you are attending a business casual event, then it is generally appropriate to wear a Hawaiian shirt. However, it is important to avoid wearing a Hawaiian shirt to a formal business event, such as a job interview or a client meeting.
How to choose a Hawaiian shirt for business casual attire
When choosing a Hawaiian shirt for business casual attire, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose a muted color and pattern. Avoid Hawaiian shirts with bright colors or loud patterns. Instead, opt for a shirt with a more subdued color and pattern, such as navy blue with white flowers or olive green with palm trees.
- Choose a tailored fit. A well-fitting Hawaiian shirt will look more professional than a baggy or oversized shirt. Make sure the shirt fits snugly around your shoulders and chest, and that the sleeves hit at the mid-bicep.
- Pair it with the right bottoms and shoes. Avoid pairing a Hawaiian shirt with shorts or sandals. Instead, pair it with slacks, chinos, or a skirt and dress shoes or loafers.
Here are some tips for styling a Hawaiian shirt for business casual:
- Pair a Hawaiian shirt with a blazer. A blazer can help to dress up a Hawaiian shirt and make it more appropriate for a business casual setting.
- Add a vest. A vest can also help to dress up a Hawaiian shirt. Choose a vest in a neutral color, such as navy blue or black.
- Roll up your sleeves. If you are wearing a Hawaiian shirt to a casual business event, or if the weather is hot, you can roll up your sleeves. Make sure to roll them up neatly and evenly.
- Wear the right shoes. Avoid pairing a Hawaiian shirt with sneakers or sandals. Instead, pair it with dress shoes or loafers.
Here are some examples of business casual outfits that feature a Hawaiian shirt:
- Navy blue Hawaiian shirt with white flowers, khaki chinos, and brown loafers
- Olive green Hawaiian shirt with palm trees, navy blue slacks, and black dress shoes
- White Hawaiian shirt with blue stripes, a navy blue blazer, and gray chinos
- Navy blue Hawaiian shirt with white flowers, a black pencil skirt, and black pumps
- Olive green Hawaiian shirt with palm trees, khaki chinos, and brown loafers
- White Hawaiian shirt with blue stripes, a navy blue blazer, and gray slacks
Hawaiian shirts can be worn in a business casual setting, but it is important to choose the right shirt and style it appropriately. Avoid wearing Hawaiian shirts to formal business events, and choose a shirt with a muted color and pattern. Pair your Hawaiian shirt with slacks, chinos, or a skirt and dress shoes or loafers. You can also dress up your Hawaiian shirt with a blazer or vest.